Green Procurement Guidelines
As of March 1, 2023
Global environmental problems, including global warming, are becoming increasingly severe. Therefore, governments, industry, and consumers must work together to preserve the global environment and develop a recycling-oriented society. Based on the Toyobo Group's Fundamental Policy on the Global Environment, Toyobo is making efforts to “contribute to society, preserve the global environment, and leave behind a comfortable earth and prosperous society through human- and environmentally-friendly technologies” as a key corporate management issue. As a manufacturer, Toyobo works to preserve the environment through its products and the production activities that make those products and has published the Green Procurement Guidelines as part of this. Therefore, we ask for understanding of the principles and the cooperation of our trading partners.
Toyobo's approach to green procurement
The purpose of the Green Procurement Guidelines is to contribute to the development of a sustainable society in partnership with companies that are taking proactive steps toward conservation of the environment by prioritizing procurement of materials and general purchased products with low environmental impact.
- Materials: a collective term for raw materials, fuel, and packaging materials used in the manufacture and sale of products;
- General purchased products: a collective term for paper, stationary, office equipment, lighting equipment, fire extinguishers, and vehicles, etc. not directly related to the manufacture, etc. of products.
2-3.Scope of Application
These guidelines apply to all materials and general purchased products at Toyobo.
Green procurement standards
3-1.Green Procurement Standards for Materials
The following two green procurement standards are stipulated for materials.
3-1-1.Selection Standards for Trading Partners
In the selection of trading partners, the following will be considered in addition to other factors such as management, quality, price, lead time, service, and technical development capabilities. Therefore, trading partners are requested to proactively implement initiatives for environmental conservation.
- Develop and make constant efforts to maintain and improve a management system. Also, proactively engage in environmental conservation activities
- Respond to surveys on chemical substance content information
If the trading partner is a trading company, the selection standards apply to both the trading partner and the actual manufacturer.
3-1-2.Selection Standards for Materials
In the selection of materials, the following factors will be considered in addition to the required quality, function, and cost performance.
- That the material does not contain any of the prohibited substances specified by Toyobo.
- That the content of hazardous substances specified by Toyobo has been identified.
Prohibited substances and harmful chemical substances are specified in “Procurement Standards for Chemical Substances .”
3-2.Green Procurement Standards for General Purchased Products
The standards for general purchased products are specified in Green Purchasing Standards.
Surveys of trading partners
4-1.Content of Surveys
- Surveys on status of environmental conservation activities and initiatives
- Surveys on chemical substance content information for materials
4-2.Timing of Surveys
- A survey is performed when transactions commence.
- Surveys of ongoing trading partners are performed regularly.
- The guidelines will be revised in accordance with changes in social conditions, etc.
- The results of surveys submitted by trading partners in accordance with these guidelines will not be disclosed externally.
For inquiries about the guidelines:
Procurement and Logistics Department
+81 6 6348 3300
Environmental Management Department
+81 6 6348 3318
TOYOBO CO., LTD.